March 26, 2014

Vintage dresser makeover & I'm a vendor at Urban Farmgirl's Main Street Market!

Preparing my pieces  for Urban Farmgirl's Main Street Market (how awesome is that??!!) I KNEW I wanted to include a "statement eye-catching piece"  to pull  people into my booth to take a peek at my vintage furniture & finds...



I decided to try American Paint Company's new color Peacock on one of my pieces for the Market......Peacock is a turquoise shade that has a bit of a vintage softness to it.....
I am usually a grey, vintage white kind of girl-which I actually did start with on this piece, but they just did not do it for me this time...so I went with Peacock.....


The piece --- a vintag dresser---a late night auction find......



Frist up -  TSP Cleaner for a good wipe down and then sanding the top, beginning with a higher grit and working my way down to about a 120 grit  when I noticed the wood grain.......It looked like a vintage cutting board.....
I was ready to stain the top but the colors of the wood once sanded had such a natural look I decided to leave it and go with the natural look. 




 I went to my go to "make the wood look awesome product"  Miss Mustard Seed's Hemp Oil....It really brings the color of your wood back to life and adds such a natural glow...See for yourself...Look at the grain in the picture below -- and then look at the "before" picture above again...The only thing I did was wipe the top down with the MMS Hemp Oil....


Now -- the painting.....like I said I started with a grey, and then a white shade and neither captured the look I was going for so I tried Peacock and smiled immediately after the first stroke...If you look closely you can see there is natural crackle on the piece (think it must have spent a few warm summers in the barn it occupied for the past 40 years) so I decided to use a glaze to accentuate that feature......





Once the glaze was dry I sealed the piece with American Paint Company Top Coat...I felt a wax might distract from the glaze....I really am addicted to transforming vintage dressers...As I work on them I wonder where was their first home, was this a major purchase for their owner, where or who did they buy it from, how was it delivered--like the Wells Fargo Wagon in Music Man? Their dovetail drawers, time worn tops and wooden wheels.....always pull me in.....

My parting shots are below....thanks for looking.........
Enjoy this makeover? My Facebook link is above on the right...Check out my page for other makeovers.......













I am sharing this with



Knick of Time Tuesday
 http://knickoftimeinteriors.blogspot.com/2014/03/knick-of-time-tuesday-130-vintage.html









15 comments:

  1. OH MY ...be still my heart! It looks fabulous and so old! Love the crackle finish! My favorite!
    Thank you for sharing and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vintage Home..I appreciate your compliment...

      Delete
  2. Oh I love it! Don't know if I've ever seen this color distressed. It is great! I love turquoise and don't have a thing that color. It's great! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, duh. I see where you are taking this piece to market. Sorry! It is still beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did an amazing job picking out just the right color to highlight its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan...It was my 3rd choice...so I guess 3rd time is a charm!!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! you did a great job Chris!

    gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail!! Coming from you that means sooo much... I have no idea where you get your energy and ideas!! You are the blog world energizer bunny!!

      Delete
  6. This is awesome! I love how American Paint Company paints accentuates the existing texture on pieces and turns what might be an eye sore into something breathtaking! Great transformation!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really gorgeous! It turned out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This dresser is magnificent! It's so tattered and yet perfectly refined! The layered colors work so nicely with the texture!

    ReplyDelete

..thanks for taking the time to comment.....I appreciate your feedback....
chris