November 9, 2011

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Sideboard Make Over

Spied this beauty at the local thrift store......LOVE the different size drawers plus it has a slotted silverware drawer as an added bonus...and it is a little shorter than most sideboards....perfect for my small dining room...but the dark wood is a little overbearing for my style....I knew RIGHT away it was going to be an Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Old White project!!!!

Loaded it up, brought it home and began the cleaning process....found some interesting details....and great carvings....and noticed things I had not seen on other pieces I have worked on...several wooden pegs to hold pieces in place....
 Wooden screws in the drawers.....along with very interesting hardware..
i tried my luck at research before painting the piece...but came up empty handed....so I went to an on line appraisal company..FurnitureAppraisals.com ........just to be sure I was not painting a piece like those you see on Antique Road Show...you know...the one's worth $1,000 of dollars!!  For a small fee i was told the following...

The sideboard you have is American made around the turn of the century. I do not know which company was the manufacturer.
WhatsItWorthToYou.com
Appraiser Tips: You can refinish this piece if you like as the finish is no longer important to the integrity of the sideboard.
WhatsItWorthToYou.com
Research Sources: I have used my personal experience buying and selling antique furniture for the past forty years.
WhatsItWorthToYou.com
Appraiser Comments: This piece did have legs at one time. It is a high quality chest that was of the best construction. The carving is both hand done and applied and the brasses are of the best quality. Unfortunately the legs are gone and the finish is not intact. If complete, the piece would have great value. As it is presently, the fair market value is $425.00 

Once I read that--I started the process...cleaning out the little mouse houses.....and some old sticky paper that once covered some areas......
I air compressed this piece at EVERY angle to be CERTAIN every nook was CLEANED out....and sanitized and sanded  areas....
Then the fun began....I had an idea in my head of the look I wanted....refinished wood top, Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Louis Blue drawers and Old White body.....

Pulled out the ol' Purdy...and Minwax.... after sanding and the first coat of stain--the wood transformed...i applied a coat, wiped the excess off and reapplied......I ended up using a darker stain a few coats later....a dark walnut ended up looking perfect.


Next up - Annie Sloan Old White......and a NEW Purdy--what is it about a new Purdy that makes a girl wanna sing?!


Enter Louis Blue....

I taped off  the different areas to keep my lines crisp...

 I  was so excited to see the drawers in the sideboard & 
the two colors together along with the wood top...it looked great--but it was not the exact look I was going for so.....the best the best thing about ASCP--just keep painting until you see the look you want..and you don't have to wait HOURS to do so.....It really is perfect for us DIY'ers that do not have hours or days to wait between coats......

This was more the look I had envisioned....I did paint over some of the heavy distressing though -it seemed to compete with the carving detail.  


I applied my wax over the paint once it had dried...the paint really comes alive once the wax is applied....that is my favorite part of this paint.....plus I LOVE using my wax brush in detailed areas.....


And now....the hardware game...I loved the original hardware but it just looked too heavy for a white piece...so I purchased several different pieces and put them on the drawers and played with those......


after another coat of stain on the top followed by a wipe on poly product that really makes it look hand rubbed and some finishing touches....like lining the top drawers with a few old hand written recipes and vintage baking and cooking advertisements...I coated them in Mod Podge to seal them and make them lay evenly inside the drawer....

So..after many days of this that and the other.....here is the finished product





I am so happy to have storage space for my serving pieces...i still need to line a couple more of the drawers...thinking i might use a burlap material and see how that looks...........

I am linking up to

http://shadesofamberinc.blogspot.com/


http://www.whisperwoodcottage.com/2012/03/talent-scouting-party-open-call-for.html#.T1PZGFl3Cjc.facebook

Gail's Catch as Catch Can Thursday Party
check her out--she ALWAYS has something going on!!!


Miss Mustard Seeds Furniture Feature Friday-great ideas and wonderful tutorials.....

Check out the Whites!
http://fadedcharmcottage.blogspot.com/

http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.com/
 .....Perfectly Imperfect
http://www.perfectlyimperfectblog.com/2011/11/the-military-desk-an-all-things-furniture-link-up.html








15 comments:

  1. That looks wonderful!!!! You did such an amazing job to that piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - that is GORGEOUS!!!! You did a wonderful job!

    ;-D robelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh wow! It looks better than I could have imagined. I love that you lined the drawer with the old papers! :) fab idea!
    too bad the appraiser told you it "could" have been worth more. :(
    thanks for sharing at Catch as Catch Can--I WILL be catching this!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow chris! great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris this looks amazing...you have a nice eye for detail & color!! ;) Happy Thanksgiving from Texas!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my blog! So glad you did - I'm following you too! This transformation is amazing! Can't wait to browse through some of your other posts. =)

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't usually like chalk painted furniture but you've done a wonderful job. The color, knobs and the handwritten recipes in the drawer all serve to enhance this piece. The Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your piece! It turned out great and the way you lined the drawers makes it really special. I also love the different handles-nice touch. I am looking for Annie Sloan paint and when I googled a store near Peoria, your blog came up. Where did you purchase your paint? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks GREAT!! Thank you so much for your very sweet comment on my blog the other day...meant so much to me!
    :-)
    shaunna

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great transformation! And what a neat piece to find. Interesting that it used to have legs in the past. As I was looking at it, I wondered what it might look like if you found some little feet to put on the bottom just to lift it up a wee bit. some sort of bun feet, maybe? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add
    to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

    Feel free to surf to my webpage :: website

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would you mind sharing what wipe on poly you use? The piece is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brooke--I used Minwax Rub On Poly--I have a facebook page also that I share projects on --check it out-- search Midwest Cottage and Finds --thanks for your question and I hope this helped!

      Delete
  13. The sideboard you have is American made around the turn of the ... asvintage.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete

..thanks for taking the time to comment.....I appreciate your feedback....
chris