September 9, 2013

How to replace missing trim pieces by making your own mold


I picked up this beauty at a local Goodwill store…If you look at the top large drawer on the left you will notice a strip of the decorative trim is missing….On  most makeovers I would just leave the missing piece and paint over the area—but this trim is part of the outline on the drawers and would really distract from the look if not repaired…..So here we go---step by step process on how to make a trim mold and then a new trim piece to replace the missing trim.  In the past I have used silicone for this process – but this time I decided to try a different product…


1.        First step—I used Das Clay to make the mold…This step is easy…roll out the clay on a cutting board or another smooth surface..

 




2.        Next I cut the clay into a long strip that would fit over the piece of trim that I was using as the mold…

  




 I sprayed WD 40 on the clay prior to pushing it on the trim so it would be easy to remove...Next  I pressed the clay on the trim strip that I was using for the mold and pushed into the detailed crevasses so it would form the detail… .Then I gently peeled the clay off the trim piece as to not stretch it out of shape and placed it in the over for 5 minutes at 350 degrees.  Below is a picture of the clay as soon as I removed it from the trim. 







3.       Once hard and dry all the way through—this is your mold.  It will continue to harden so if you leave it over night that would be the best option....Below are 2 of my molds after being removed from the oven. 






4.       Now to make the actual trim piece....On this step I first tried KwikWood - an epoxy/wood filler type product…I had trouble removing this from the mold in one piece so I decided to try the Das Clay again….(I think I may have pressed to hard on the KwikWood…so that was operator error – not the product….. )

5.       I sprayed the mold with WD 40 and pressed the clay into mold– leaving some clay over the edge giving me a piece to hold on to when I removed it…. I only left it in the mold for a few minutes and pulled it out and let it set overnight..I did a few different pieces so I would have enough for the entire strip and some extra’s .......just in case… I sanded the edges of the new pieces and glued them to the dresser…since I will be dry brushing the area I needed the new trim to match the original trim so I stained the trim and painted it a bit to help match…New trim left--orginal trim on right......



6.   And here is the trim with the first coat of paint.....if you did not know the difference it would be difficult to tell!  Give it a try--any questions send me a message on my face book page (there is a link on the left sidebar) and I will be happy to answer your questions....Good luck!!



       

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this fantastic tutorial!! I have several pieces of furniture I can use this on right now!! thank you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing post! Who would've ever thought of this! Absolutely brilliant!-aimee {new follower}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've nominated you for a Leibster award for bloggers! Check out my post to read about it! Congrats on your blog! Keep up the great work!-aimee
    http://refresh-renew.blogspot.com/2013/09/wow-leibster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've nominated you for a Leibster award for bloggers! Check out my post to read about it! Congrats on your blog! Keep up the great work!-aimee
    http://refresh-renew.blogspot.com/2013/09/wow-leibster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've nominated you for a Leibster award for bloggers! Check out my post to read about it! Congrats on your blog! Keep up the great work!-aimee
    http://refresh-renew.blogspot.com/2013/09/wow-leibster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! This is outstanding - I am not sure I ever would have thought of this!! Congrats on your liebster award and it is nice to meet you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! Great minds think alike huh? Love your tutorial also! You are the second person who has said they have used Kwik Wood. I'm going to have to try it! Of course clay works just as well as plaster I suppose! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will be trying this process after Christmas. Thanks for sharing. Dianntha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial. I tried both the Kwik wood and the DAS. I also had better success wtith DAS. I did find if I let the kwik wood harden a little while still in the mold it came out much easier. Thank you for teaching me something new that worked like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this is a great tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing it. I'm pinning this, for it's certain at some point I'm going to need it. ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just bought a beautiful antique bedroom set that needs this tlc. Thank you so much for the great info! Now I am actually looking forward to doing this!

    ReplyDelete

..thanks for taking the time to comment.....I appreciate your feedback....
chris